I won't lie. Food Exploration is probably my favorite activity at Camp. Well, okay, one of the top 5. Ack, I can't pick a favorite. Don't make me choose!
In all seriousness, exploring with food truly is one of those creative activities where you get really fast gratification for your effort and it's fun to bare witness to kid's joy when they get to try something they created.
I'm born and raised in Los Angeles, so I don't know what a "real" Fall is like.. but this bread just makes me feel all warm and toasty inside.
I love a good banana bread on it's own (and we made some DIVINE banana bread muffins at camp this summer!!), but the Pumpkin just adds so much moisture and only a light hint of pumpkin flavor!
*Note: I have made this bread with all sorts of modifications for various food allergies (gluten free flour, honey instead of sugar, flaxseed and water instead of eggs) and it still always tastes good. So substitute as you see fit! But no, the gluten free flour wasn't AS good as the regular flour version. Let's not kid ourselves!
2 mashed overripe bananas
1.4 cup Organic Pumpkin (I like the Trader Joes one!)
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
1 Large Egg
2 Egg Whites
2 cups Flour (I've done whole wheat, gluten free, regular... your call!)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup of sugar (or sub Honey)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease your bread loaf pan and put to the side.
3. Mash up those bananas in a large bowl with a fork (the kids love this part!)
4. Add in the rest of the WET ingredients to the bowl
5. Mix together and then put aside.
6. In a separate large bowl, combine all the DRY ingredients.
7. Slowly add in the DRY ingredients into the WET ingredients bowl.
8. Mix together until dry clumps are gone.
9. Pour into greased bread loaf pan.
10. Pop into the oven for 45 minutes. It may need another few minutes, depending on your oven.
11. Let it cool, and then dive in! It tastes delicious on it's own, or drizzled with almond butter or honey!
Now make some Pumpkin Spice tea and sit by the pool for your LA Fall!!